Sunday, September 27, 2009

Perception

I heard a saying today that really resonated for me.  "Whenever I heal my perception I give birth to freedom and meaning."  As you likely know life has a way of putting events in front of you designed for your growth.  I was speaking with a very close and dear friend about the past.  The conversation arrived at the concept of narcissistic behaviour, and the ensuing question as to whether I was also narcissistic floored me.

Once I had moved past the reaction I realized that this friend had known both the worst and best of me.  Their perception of me was as much in this moment as it was of a 10 year old boy that had difficulty trusting and loving himself, let alone focusing on others.  But more interestingly still was the inner emotional reaction the question had evoked.  I felt dread at the idea of being narcissistic.  As the feeling subsided and I found my centre I realized that there was some perception for me to heal, and reminded that the real work is within.

As a part of processing this event and emotions I wrote the following poem.  As I look forward I am certain of this - I pledge this life of mine to the service of others.  Whether as a poet expressing contemplation and vision, a Practitioner offering support and prayer, or a journeying soul learning how to balance passion with humility, my vision is clear.  And perhaps this dedication of mine is a reaction to the old me, the Carmien that would have put self-concern before others?  If that is the case, then I celebrate the question that was asked.  If nothing else, today I was reminded of how the perceptions that really matter are those you have of yourself.

Perception
Why be some-one when,
One could be all that you are?
Give birth to freedom and meaning,
as you heal perception and scar.

Let your mind transcend limitation,
be more than you'd dreamed you'd be.
Constantly absorb and share,
unconstrained by things and free.

In truth these words bring no meaning.
Without soul they are but a scratch.
It's the consciousness beneath these words,
that unlocks meaning of life from latch.

Let the motion of love surround you.
Know what you need to forgive.
Be clear on what you want.
Know how to let go and to live.

Express your Divine and true nature,
in a new and wonderful way.
Don't believe everything that you think.
Live in the bliss and the joy of this day.

Believe in yourself and the All,
that One that I know you to be.
Find others to believe in you too,
let symptom be learning, not plea.

All that is left for condition,
and how it is seen from within,
is devotion to all, soul and being,
to faith, hope and love herein.

Copyright (c) 2009, Carmien Owen

No comments:

Post a Comment