Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Guiding our Children

In living the Truth, I shine a light that will draw to me all that is right.

I believe that above and beyond finding inspirational stories and readings for our children that living our lives in Spiritual Truth is the surest way to teach our children.

I have a daughter who is just over 2 years old. She has entered a phase where she often copies what she hears and sees. For example, when my wife tells me that she was saying, "Daddy...Big Hug?" in the car on the way back from daycare I smile. This tells me that the manner in which I surround her with love is making an impression I can stand behind. My daughter was looking forward to seeing me, and getting a BIG HUG was high on her mind.

As she grows I fully expect the way in which she looks to me as her father will become more important. My behaviours and the way in which I live my life will communicate and impress more upon her than spoken or read words will in her earliest years. And if it's true that we build many of our deepest values and influences in our first 5-7 years of living then she is undoubtedly in a critical place.

Before she reaches that time when she is asking questions, and I in turn guide her to explore and to seek self-realization, I will be her guide in what I do and say. When she comes back to me with questions about the world I will respond through words of acceptance. When she asks me why something is, I will speak consistently from my place of Truth. And as she blossoms outward like a tree seeking air and nutrients my heart will smile. For I will know that for as much as I am her guide, that she must inevitably come to a place where she experiences and learns from life for herself. So long as I lived in Truth and acceptance I will have done my very best as a guide.

And that is more profound than anything else I can think of.

No comments:

Post a Comment