Friday, July 9, 2010

The Empty Box of Zen

So today was one of those days.  It seemed like everywhere I turned, little things were happening to delay me, to make sure that I really wanted peace.  I'd like to share what I think is the highlight.

After a busy day of little things going wrong (or not meeting my expectations) I went home knowing that I had a hospital visit to make.  The visit was at 6.30.  However, on the way home I received a call from a courier telling me that they've got a package for me.  Thinking through how things could be timed I figured I'd wait for my wife to get home, go pick up the package, and then head to the hospital. 

However, in between some emails I was trying send before I left not going through (computer problem) and the trip itself taking longer than I expected to get to the courier I arrived at around 6.25pm.  I guess a part of me was feeling a little uncofortable with being late.  Imagine my surprise when I get inside and after searching for the package they hand me an empty box!

Opening the unsealed box to find some bubblewrap I looked at the customer service rep and asked them why the driver couldn't have left the box outside my door.  With an ernest expression she asked me, "Did you have a notice on your door saying a signature is not required?"

"No," I answered.  "I wasn't expecting an empty box and the problem with such a sign is that the laptop I'm waiting to receive would be left unattended."

"Well, we can't leave any boxes because someone may get upset."

"Of someone stealing an empty box?"

"Well, that box may be valuable."

"But it's empty and unsealed?"  However, at that point I stopped myself and smiled.  Looking at her with that smile I closed the conversation, with the statement "I think this is silly, but thank you."

I left with my empty box.  Sharing this story at meditation tonight I was asked what I could have done that was different.  In thinking about it, I think a better approach would have been:
  • To be aware that everything is perfect, and that I would arrive at the hospital exactly when I needed to (thus removing the self-perceived pressure of arriving to visit my friend when she was expecting me)
  • To laugh upon opening the empty box, and with a humourous tone of voice and heart tell the customer rep how perfect it was to be slowed down while trying to visit a friend in hospital to pick up an empty box (thus bringing some humour to both our days)
Everything is an opportunity for awareness and transformation.  I am compassionate toward myself.  I recognize that in the past, after a day of continual delays and things going wrong that at some point I would have gotten frustrated.  I kept my centre today and I celebrate that.  But far from resting on my laurels, I gently remind myself that this is just a beginning.  There's always an opportunity to be more aware, to be a greater field of grace.  I am learning, one empty box at a time.

1 comment: