Saturday, May 14, 2011

The Quality of Compassion

I was on a meditation retreat when Osama Bin Laden was killed. As a consequence I got to read and hear about his assassination when I returned from days away focusing on awareness and equanimity. What I also recall hearing whilst away was that the harm we do to others we do to ourselves. For you see, we are all connected. We are all a part of an Infinite Spirit that gives us all life.

Imagine then for a moment the state of my mind upon being hit with newspaper photos and television images of people rejoicing in joy and screaming in delight at the news of Osama Bin Laden's death. And it has not ended there. In the press a debate is waging about the relevance of patriotism and the appropriateness of vengeance. There is a school of thought that because Osama killed so many that he deserved to be shot in the face, and that the release of his 'death face' photo is appropriate because it will bring a sense of closure.

I do not share these views. I will honour them as the choices of individuals but this tide of celebration at the death of anyone is not, and will never be, my choice regardless of the extent of their unwholesome actions. Why would I say this? In short, because I believe that compassion for all life is a paramount value and I am willing to go on the record to state this. I have compassion for those who were killed as a result of Osama's orders. I have compassion and love for those close to his victims that suffer.

However, when I think about the the harm Bin Laden did I know that in harming so many he harmed himself. There is another school of thought, one that I did not invent but I feel compelled to raise. This school of thought was taught by the Buddha and by many other masters. Simply put, one should have compassion for any agressor of any unwholesome action.

My mind boggles at the numbers surrounding Bin Laden's unwholesome choices during his life. I cannot begin to comprehend what it means to be responsible for the death of thousands. I cannot begin to comprehend the pain that many tens of thousands more have suffered as well. But I do believe that Bin Laden deserves my compassion. When I heard the news I cried. Why did I cry? Well, after a period of contemplation I have come to realize that I cried for two reasons. Firstly, I cried out of compassion for the suffering of the victims. And secondly, I cried out of compassion for the suffering of Bin Laden.

This may be a response that shocks you. Whether you agree or disagree with me you are invited to comment on this blog and share your opinions. However, before you post bear in mind that I am being guided by the idea that in believing in God I seek to emulate the qualities of God. I cannot believe that Spirit 'rejoiced' at Bin Laden's death and I do believe that compassion is a quality of God worth living in all moments, regardless of conditions. Just because Osama Bin Laden chose as he did does not invalidate that he was a living being, and as such an individualized expression of God. To celebrate his death is to set aside compassion and a knowing that everyone is God in action.

I choose compassion and loving-kindness regardless of conditions or opinions. Know the Flow as you go and be happy.

1 comment:

  1. Only going to say you if you live by the sword you die by the sword, no matter how you look a it God's word is his word, don't like that then it says you reap what you sow good or bad, the seed you plant for yourself in life grows.

    ReplyDelete