Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Old Memories - Cirque du Soleil

Last night I saw the Michael Jackson Immortal World tour with the Cirque du Soleil.  This was the third time I've seen them live and it seems like every time I see them they get better.  Either they are maturing over time or I am open to more possibilities as I age.

I shall settle for both being true.

And on that note, I wanted to share something.  I will happily confess that as a teenager I enjoyed Michael Jackson's music.  My passion for dancing has not abated over the years and as you might imagine I spent many an afternoon learning from a master dancer with friends. 

What was interesting was that during the show many memories were conjured for me.  I remembered spending time with friends practicing dance moves, excited that we'd get to hit the dance floor that night.  I attribute many a spin and fancy dance move to Michael and his creative genius.

I was also struck by the emotions that surfaced as I watched the creative genius of the Cirque pay tribute to this pop icon.  I suspect that many of Michael's fans had a similar experience.  However, I found myself observing the sensations that arose. 

Instinctively I shifted into a meditative awareness.  An emotion would surface and would be followed by a specific memory related to it.  But the meditator in me could not help but note that this sensation, and image, would pass away.  As a result I found myself fully enjoying the show.  I was completely present.

On the way back to the car I found myself processing what had just happened and suddenly felt an excruciating pain in my right foot.  The pain became so intense that I had to stop walking.  Again, the meditator in me noted that the pain was impermanent and I told myself that it would pass away (awareness of the true nature of sensations is something that is integral to my approach to meditation).  I started walking again and after a few minutes the pain was completely gone. 

I immediately realized that by being present to the emotional memories from my childhood evoked by the show I had been able to allow a process of release.  I had gained an insight about my childhood. But more importantly, I had facilitated whatever had needed to shift deep within my subconscious mind.

It was a magical night, but directly experiencing truth in action only added to the magic of the soul.  If you find yourself in such a moment, where intense emotional memories from the past surface, strive to be present.  Know that the emotions you are experiencing will inevitably pass away.  Such a harmonious awareness will do much to help you release what needs to be released from the past.  And who knows, by being fully present you may get to experience even more magic in the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment