Thursday, January 29, 2009

My One Word Ministry: "Divine"

One aspect of the beauty of language is that it is filled with context, ours. And in turn I am coming to realize that contemplation of ideas and how we associate words with our way of life is a powerful practice. For example, a few months ago I embarked on a journey of what I have come to call, One Word Ministry.

In response to the commonly asked question, "How are you?" I now reply, "Divine." In my professional life, at the Centre for Spiritual Living, in a public place, greeting a retail professional, or when meeting any stranger I simply respond to the customary process of greeting that I am, "divine."

I would have to say that from the very first time I used divine as my answer, to this day, I find myself inspired by the responses. Perhaps my favourite response so far has been; "Wow, that must be better than best!" You might imagine how the conversation went from there.

Of course, the journey of this one word ministry has evolved. At first, I would pause to check in to make sure I really did feel divine. A moment later I would feel divinity and respond. I then came to realize that taking that moment to determine if I was divine or not served a purpose of elevating my mindfulness. I will readily admit that sometimes I would check in and find that I wasn't quite divine. At other times my answer would be 'good' without that pause to check. And then as I left such a moment I found myself reviewing what had just happened. Such enquiry is a good thing, so long as we do not linger too long.

With my focus of fueling a constant state of consciousness I am finding it easier and easier to respond immediately that I am divine, knowing within my heart that my state of consciousness would have it no other way. But then practice is about persistence of knowing is it not?

And so, if you are in a place where the standard greetings of 'not bad', 'just fine', or even 'good' are not quite making the grade, consider greeting people by telling them that you are divine. I can say with the assurance of my experience that you will be inspired by the many smiles and happy conversations that subsequently flow from this one word ministry. It amazes me how much one little word can light up moments. And with more consciousness surrounding such simple exchanges we can effortlessly give birth to a way of life, inspiring others and ourselves with a six letter word.

Divine.

No comments:

Post a Comment