Tuesday, March 23, 2010

How the Internet has Personally Touched Me

As you may know I spend each day online. Through Second Life I meet people and I share spiritual practice.  I meditate and invite others to join with me, sharing spiritual practice with them.  I share thoughts about the philosophy and beliefs I have, and get to learn from many wonderful people as they share their insights and perspectives.  The Internet for me is becoming my focused ministry.

It turns out that in real life that the perception of what I am doing has begun to create a wave. I won't go into the details but I did want to share the core aspects of an email I sent to the person I consider to be my spiritual teacher in this time. This is a beautiful learning experience for me and I must say that regardless of the outcome I am in a place of purpose. The ripples and waves we see about us are not always about us. However, our perception is.

The wave in this case is a presented position from someone that they do not believe that a 'personal touch' can be found on the Internet. As I read this statement I was struck by it. Thankfully I turned to meditation. The following is what I penned:

As I reflected upon the email I received today I was reminded of one of the most deep and meaningful connections of my life, one that was made through the Internet. I met my wife on the Internet in 1996. We spent a year getting to know each other through a chat room before we ever met in person. And when we did meet, the spell was completed; the personal sharing and connections that we’d made through the Internet were as deep to us as any physical meeting we’d had before that. We fell in love and are still married in 2010. Without the Internet, or the personal connections we made through this medium, I would not be here in Edmonton. I do not even know if I would be a Practitioner or if I would have discovered this philosophy that has so transformed my life. It is possible that I might not even be alive today were it not for the Internet and the ways in which I have been personally touched, not only by Gail, but by the many beautiful souls I have met over the years.
I then recalled discussing the idea of connecting through the Internet with Gail (a PhD in Psychology as you know). She shared some highlights of psychological research into online counselling over the past 10 years. It turns out that online counselling has not only been studied by the behavioural scientific community, but that the benefits of deep and meaningful connections through such exchanges, the very rapport, personal touch, and trust required for counselling, have been successfully applied through the Internet, and is an active idea in expression today.
I can relate to this research for it very much reflects my personal experience. Where there might be an idea for some that the “personal touch just isn’t there”, I have a set of experiences that are quite to the contrary. I have been involved in online communities for over 15 years now. I have moderated discussion boards, chat rooms, created online communities (amongst other things), met many wonderful people from around the world, and have been constantly reminded of the potential of the Internet to allow people to connect in ways they never could have other wise.
But then it came to mind that the above words I have written are just ideas, merely my perspectives. My experiences contribute to the cherished beliefs that I have. My beliefs influence the ideas I can envision, and that I am ready to behold and discover. It is clear to me that I have no desire to communicate the above ideas in an effort to 'convince' anyone. I am not here to convince anyone of anything. However, should anyone enquire as to my experience I would be delighted to share the joy in my heart, and the ideas I have.
Within this morning’s meditation I released these ideas and asked for a higher knowing. The next idea that came to mind was to write this email to you. It is clear to me that I have different experiences of the Internet following some 15 years of virtual exploration. I recall a talk of yours where you spoke about the 10,000 hours required to master a skill. When it comes to the Internet, I’ve put in my 10,000 hours, and I’ve got a number of ideas about how to extend this teaching into the Internet whilst providing the supports and creating the community required to empower people in doing deep and truthful work.
In this meditation, as I set my egoic ideas and beliefs down, I was reminded of something simple, yet profound. Conversations around the Internet will benefit when we are aware of our cherished beliefs. There is much Truth in the world, and more often than not it is the coming together of many different Truths that allows for an even greater one to be revealed.
The email and the work of organizations approving online courses are but one aspect of consciousness playing itself out. I have a vision to connect in Truth with others through the Internet. I bring my spiritual practice with others online and we share. In the time I have been in this dedicated daily practice online I have met many wonderful people, many people seeking something more. By simply showing up, by being, I am connecting and planting the seed of truth into the soil of the path that others tread upon. I am not attached to their stopping to look at this sprouting seedling, but I am clear that regardless of what differences there may be in ideas, beliefs, and experiences, there is but one destination. And given that I have done this without developing courses to deliver online I am left with the impression that perhaps for now, at least until I have a greater understanding, that I should simply continue what I have been doing. It seems to be working, and I feel alive as only the fire of purpose can make one feel.
The destination will be reached in many ways. The higher knowing as I hear it whispers to me of just continuing to be. All will unfold perfectly. Should you wish to bring the various visionaries together in the Centre I shall be ready to serve and support. Should you wish to connect the visions locally with the wider vision of the larger organization I shall be ready to serve and support. And in the mean time, I shall serve and support.
Know the Flow as you go.

No comments:

Post a Comment