Saturday, June 18, 2011

Purpose, Excitement, Revelation and Authority

Sitting in the presence of someone who is Divinely inspired can be likened to being a tree in a forest fire.  It doesn't matter how big the space is between you, what may physically be in the way to break the fire's progress, if the fire is intense enough sparks will reach and ignite you in turn.

Last Sunday was like that for me.  In this case, Reverend Patrick Cameron, Senior Minister of the Centre for Spiritual Living Edmonton was talking about purpose. From the moment he started to speak I could tell he was on fire.  That passion and sparks of Divinity caught my attention as he explored the idea of purpose in our lives.  Asking what you want was one thing he said, but it's more profound to ask, "What do I get excited about?" His reasoning, inspired by Tim Ferris, was that this trumps working out 'what do you want to do.'

As I considered this question I felt a feeling of certainty.  In my mind my purpose statement of, 'inspiring and serving the transformation of knowing Love' came to mind and I felt excited about it.  I still do. In fact, in many ways I will restate my purpose statement at least once every day.  And after a few years of doing this I am probably more excited today than I was the day my purpose became clear to me.

However, he didn't stop there.  Patrick also suggested that we not only set a purpose that excites us, but that we also set unreasonable goals for ourselves.  These goals should be extreme, stretch us, and definitely require help.  If you can do it alone it's probably not a big enough vision.

In my mind I realized that the work I am doing to build a spiritual platform through http://www.knowtheflow.ca/ excited me.  The next thought that came to mind was in response to setting an unreasonable goal.  I immediately knew that my goal was to build a platform that touches over 1,000,000 people.  That's right, one million.  I know what I'm doing is oozing with Truth and Love.  I know that I am deepening in awareness of the Eternal Presence.  And so, surely building a platform of over 1,000,000 people is unreasonable.  Such a goal stretches me and I cannot do it without help.  With the mental certainty that I'd need help to accomplish this goal I realized I could turn to those who I've already connected with and share this goal.

But like any forest fire, once a tree catches fire it explodes into flames at some point and keeps smouldering long afterwards.  This week has been a cascade of wonderfully synchronous events, the Divine exploded through and around me in a dazzling display of light.  On Monday I was reading a book by Ernest Holmes called, We Can Talk to God.  On page 85 I read a sentence that talked about finding the peace and stillness when we slow down and commune with Eternal Presence.  That got me to thinking.  Over the past 6 months I've been piecing together an idea I'm now calling Revealing Eternal Presence Meditation.

I set the book down and leaning back I felt a sense of restlessness.  I knew I was close to finding the next piece to the puzzle I had working on for the past 6 months.  Fortuntely, I had enough awareness to set this down and release it to the Universe.  But as I released this knowing a realization came to mind that I had a blog to write on Tuesday.  I didn't know what about, but I knew I would write one.

If you read my last blog then you surely know what came of that.  The idea for 'Revealing Eternal Presence Meditation' jumped in my mind during my Tuesday morning meditation.  I had a powerful realization emerging and felt an exquisite certainty.  With the blog published I set about posting about it through Facebook and Twitter.  I also sent out an email to those friends I had in my address book (something I rarely do).  Out of curiosity I took a look at the blog stats and observed a spike of 5 times the typical visits following a post.  I realized that whilst I hadn't hit the 1,000,000 visitors it was certainly a move in the right direction.

The next day I received a completely unexpected email from the Centre for Spiritual Living, Edmonton, asking me if I'd like to teach a meditation course in September.  At first I thought they were asking me if I'd put together a little course on meditation.  It turned out that they were asking me to teach the 200 level meditation class (an accredited course with ICSL).  Not only was I surprised from the perspective that Staff Ministers are normally the teachers of such courses, but it struck me that being asked to teach meditation really lined up with the vision and purpose of 'Revealing Eternal Presence Meditation'.  Within a day of claiming my authority on this I was getting yet one more sign.

However, it didn't stop there.  On Thursday, I was speaking with a friend of mine who also happens to be an amazing musician.  We chatted for a while about him coming to Edmonton to play in September and after suggesting a couple of places he could play he said that an idea had just jumped into his mind.  What would I think about doing a night of meditation and music with him?  With a big smile on my face and in my heart I let him know that would be a fabulous idea.

And finally, at the end of Thursday I led a group of 5 people at a friend's house through Revealing Eternal Presence Meditation.  The experience was beautiful.  Everyone had their own perspective to share and the discussion that ensued was wonderfully inspiring.  There was even encouragement for me to record these meditations (which is something I plan on doing and serving up on the knew rebuild of the soon-to-be revamped version of this website).  In closing, we scheduled the next night for July 19 and I came away with the sense that this was yet one more sign.

I have shared this story of my week as both a chance to journal my gratitude and to offer inspiration.  It is a powerful practice to journal gratitude.  However, when our awareness and consciousness are ignited by the Divine Spark from others I believe we should stop, take note and share such stories.  I am so very grateful for the various signs that have shown up this week.  And yet I know that this particular phase of my journey has only just begun.  I have shifted this week.  I have discovered a deep sense of Divine Authority in this week, a clarify that I have never had with this intensity.  I have an unreasonable goal of building a platform of over 1,000,000 people, and I'm letting you know that I need your help to do this.  If you know someone that you think would enjoy reading this blog then please forward this to them.

And yet through it all, from the fire in Patrick's belly to the ignition of my spirit I have constantly been blown away by the sense of humility and peace, the revelation of Eternal Presence in my life.  Indeed, revealing eternal presence is more than just 2 hours of meditation a day.  It is a constant practice now.

Know the Flow and be happy, dear friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment