Friday, June 3, 2011

U2 and their Platform: Please Remember the 3,000+ Non-Violent Protesters in Burmese Prisons

I had the joy to go to the U2 concert in Edmonton on June 1st.  I was aware of their activism but to see it directly in action was inspiring.  Through their talents and gifts they have built a massive platform that touches millions of souls.  And right in the middle of what will likely stand as the best concert in my life my heart was moved.

Towards the end of the concert Bono asked us to please remember the 3,000 plus non-violent protestors in Burmese prisons.  The dictatorship has renamed the country Myanmar but changing a country's name does not hide the truth.  And here U2 is using their platform to spread a vital message.  I wish the media would pick this sort of thing up but then I suppose that is not how news works.  And for those of you who weren't there I uploaded the song to YouTube below.  It was recorded in HD so you can switch to fullscreen for a clearer view.


Did you notice all those white lanterns?  Each of those had the Amnesty International sign on them.  And even now as I replay this video I am moved.  I may not have a massive platform in this lifetime, but I am delighted by U2's effort to make such a meaningful use of their influence.  Thank you guys!

It is possible that I might be in the uncertain land of copyright infringement, but I'm going to take a gamble and assume that U2 won't object to me forwarding this message.  This sort of message needs to be more broadly put onto platforms.  This world we live in may only be an apparent reality, but unwholesome actions warrant compassion.  And sometimes compassion involves standing up for what you believe in.  And raising your voice to defend others unable to defend themselves whilst you retain a balanced mindfulness and are centred in your emotions is, to my mind, a beautiful example of making the most of this life.  Those 3,000+ non-violent protestors have in effect been put in prison for the crime of 'democracy', punished for the desire to express freedom and support a duly elected leader.

Influenced by both Mahatma Gandhi's philosophy of non-violence and by more specifically Buddhist concepts, Aung San Suu Kyi entered politics to work for democratization, helped found the National League for Democracy on 24 September 1988, and was put under house arrest on 20 July 1989. She was offered freedom if she left the country, but she refused.  She was released after 20 years of house arrest, but over 3,000 more like her are still incarcerated.  More can be read about her here.

I would not consider myself overtly political.  I'm actually not interested in efforts to rule countries, where the focus is on power over things and people.  However, I've got a deep respect for people like Aung San Suu Kyi and Mahatma Ghandi.  To stand up for the unwholesome behaviour towards others speaks to selflessness.  And yet the 3,000+ non-violent protestors that are still locked up are just as prized in my heart.  I am adding them to my daily prayer list.  As Bono says in the video, please remember these victims, hold them in your hearts, hold them in your prayers.  3,000 souls...

Side note:  If you want to see a few other pictures of the concert I've uploaded them here.  4 of them were taken on my iPhone with a photostiching app.  This offers a wider field of view but may look a little fuzzy in places.

Know the Flow and be happy my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment