Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Attachment and its Insidious Ways

Today I learnt a valuable lesson.  Attachment to a thing, person, or an idea can come in the most unexpected of ways.  In this case I sought to help others by writing an article for a forum, with what I thought were some helpful tips and questions.  It turns out that I had an attachment to how that 'help' would be received.  I know this now because in due course the help was criticized quite heavily.  My reaction was poor, and definitely not in line with the vision I have for myself.  Whenever we observe something in our reaction that is extreme this is normally a clue that something within us has been touched, and requires our attention and work.



I believe that my reaction stemmed from a hidden belief of not being worthy (that belief must be a real deep one - it keeps coming out, although this one is quite interesting as an expression).  This belief came to me during meditation.  In fact, my meditation tonight was most intriguing in that I heard alot about what my beliefs were.  After 20 minutes I knew I had gotten what I needed from that meditation. 

I promptly realized that the best thing I could do would be to:
  • Release the attachment by,
  • Knowing that I am good enough
  • Knowing I am worthy
  • Knowing that those making the criticism are also aspects of the Divine, and
  • Learn more about attachment from this.  Being attached to how your 'help' is received is still an attachment.  This will be a valuable lesson as I proceed along this path as a Practitioner. 
I have unearthed a weakness today that will become a strength.  I have broken chains of ignorance that no longer bind me in this regard.  This is growth, and I celebrate that. 

I also happen to feel MUCH better than I did about an hour ago.

1 comment:

  1. Whew! Speaking of flow! I have this issue a lot. I ask myself "Don't these people GET what I'm trying to offer them?" Then I step back, and remind myself that their experience is really none of my business. If it is in me to facilitate, I must be willing to then let go of expectations, and just allow. Good on you!

    ReplyDelete