Friday, September 24, 2010

Acceptance and Being

Last night at the daily meditation in Second Life I had a most wonderful experience.  What was so wonderful, you might ask?  Well, I realized how much acceptance is playing a part of my perspective and how clear I am on the Divine being through everyone. 

After the invocation (a brief affirmative prayer designed to set the intention for sacred space for the meditation) a question was posed by a newcomer.  "What is the goal of meditation?" He asked.  I started by thanking him for the most excellent question.  I then responded along the lines that for me the goal of meditation is learning how to think.  Following my expanding upon the answer and I was asked another question.

"How do you deal with the forces coming to you?" He asked again.  I explained that I believe that God is Omnipresent, in, as, and through every thing, every event, and every one.  Therefore, I do not believe that any forces come at me or to me.  I believe that God is being through me, through the centre of my being, and as a consequence I have the creative potential of God within.  And it is only my thinking, my feelings, old thought-patterns, beliefs and attitudes that get in the way of this potential.

As you might imagine, by this point, I was enjoying some great questions and the opportunity to contemplate some thoughtful questions.  However, that previous question had waved a flag in my mind.  I had a sense that there was a motive in the mind of the questioner that was confirmed by the next question.

"Jesus said in John 14:6, 'I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.” He said.  This comment was clearly a shift from question to declaration.  And to this I replied that whilst I view Jesus as a Master teacher, ranking him alongside the other great masters and prophets such as Buddha and Muhammed, I do not believe I need a mediator to commune with God.  Whilst I honour and accept all the beautiful paths to devotion this is not my path.  I closed my response by sharing that whilst we had different belief systems and are traveling by different paths I believe we are headed toward the same destination.

In the meantime the rest of the group had been silent.  But following this last comment someone then responded with a quote from Matthew 5:8. "Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God."  This was an interesting counter-reference since it implies that one need only be pure of heart to see God, which obviously provides a striking contrast to John 14:6.

At this point we went into meditation and in spite of inviting the visitor to stay and join us in community after the meditation they left.  I offered them blessings and entered into spaciousness.

Upon reflection I celebrate this event.  I felt, and feel, a complete sense of love for this visitor.  At first I contemplated memorizing Matthew 5:8 for such conversations in the future.  But then I had a realization.  What is the point of debating theology?  The idea of trying to convince someone of a theological standpoint is not what I feel drawn too.  I feel drawn to supporting others convince themselves.  If our visitor is in love with Jesus and is focusing on inspiring and supporting the transformation of consciousness who am I to get in the way of that in any fashion?  And besides, God isn't interested in my theology, rather in the love, acceptance and compassion I fill my heart and my life with.

Truly he is blessed by God being through him.  But then so am I, as is everyone for that matter.  I feel a deep sense of peace and joy around this conversation, as I did last night.  I celebrate my acceptance of all paths.  I celebrate that God is being through me.  I celebrate that perhaps a year or two ago I wouldn't have held such love in my heart as I did last night when speaking with him. 

Celebration is a spiritual practice.  If you notice you have made progress toward your vision in a way that brings you peace and joy, then take the time to celebrate this, just as I am in this blog posting.

I celebrate that the path that I follow does not ask me to go forth and "make disciples of all nations."  I am coming to realize that my gospel in this regard is to, "go forth and live in love and acceptance."  If others feel drawn to ask me why I am so peaceful I shall share the story of my path with them.  And if they feel drawn to walk with me for a while I shall celebrate.  And if not, then with acceptance in my heart I will offer them blessings and know that ultimately their destination is as beautiful as mine.

2 comments:

  1. If this is the first encounter of this type as a leader you may be comforted in that this is the first of many experiences of this nature. You might want to consider proposing that you would enjoy postponing discussing the question after youcomplete your scheduled meditation. While control may NOT be the strategy, others in attendance have a reasonable expectation to meditate

    Your meditations are informative and have a wonderful harmony appreciated by all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much for the kind words. It was indeed the first such encounter.

    We normally start meditating approximately 20 minutes after the appointed time (allowing for an explanation of the meditation and/or the applicable spiritual principles for the night). As it happens I did indeed begin meditation at roughly 20 minutes past. Fortunately, RL experience as a facilitator came in very handy here.

    However, your point is an excellent one and the next time I shall be clearer on the expectations around discussion and the meditation. Learning from such events is always profound.

    ReplyDelete