Wednesday, August 26, 2009

My First Visual-Poetic Expression

Those of you who know me will know that I am training to be a Practitioner with the Centre for Spiritual Living. For those of you unfamiliar with the concept think of a Practitioner as a Spiritual Coach.

As a part of the training we were given a book called Return to the One to read and prepare a thought paper for. I am truly grateful that this assignment was given for the summer. I spent close to two months reading the book and taking notes.

Last week as I went through the most transformative week to this point in my life I had an idea. Why not take two of my gifts and create a paper from a fresh perspective. I love to write poems and I enjoy capturing ideas in visual images. I am bringing these two forms of expression together in a vision that will be my first visual-poetic expression.

What do I mean by a visual-poetic expression? Well, I've been working for the past few days transcribing the notes of the past couple of months from my journal. And tonight I managed to write some 15 versus for the first section on Plato's Cave, and another 16 versus for the final section, the Return of the Soul. The imagery will seek to provide an obvious and literal presentation of an idea, while poetry will seek to expand upon those ideas through metaphorical and mystical avenues.

Here's a verse from the final section as a preview. I'm confident that this verse will remain (mostly) untouched for the final version.

We live on an island of knowledge,
Surrounded by wonderous seas,
And as our knowledge expands,
so do our shores of mystery.

And here's one (of eight) visual interpretation of the path Plotinus charts for us to return to the One. The images in the paper will be accompanied by some writing to literally describe the concept.

If you're interested in seeing the finished paper email me and let me know. I'd be delighted to share. It may be a few weeks before it's ready though. Preparing hundreds of versus of poetry is just the start. But I've got 7 of the 8 images already created and I've also got a kind soul in BC who is willing to review this effort (they're a Minister, a writer, AND passionate about Plotinus).

And as a messenger recently reminded me, I am on a quest for clarity. I'd love to hear if I helped to translate Plotinus' legacy clearly through this work. It sets the stage for a greater vision I have in mind.
(c) Copyright 2009, Carmien Owen

No comments:

Post a Comment