Friday, December 17, 2010

Spirituality and Social Media

I was sent a link to a USA Today article about Pastors flocking to Facebook.  This article came as no surprise to me.  After all, I've been using this blog, Facebook and Twitter as a Practitioner.  However, elements of this article did stand out and inspired this blog.
"Social media use hasn't won universal blessings from religious leaders. Last month, a New Jersey minister called Facebook a marriage killer. A group of New York rabbis blogged about whether people should "fast from Facebook" during Passover. And last year, Pope Benedict XVI warned Roman Catholics not to allow virtual connections to overshadow real ones."

There are a few points that come to mind as I read this.  Firstly, Facebook is not a marriage killer.  Facebook is a way to connect with friends.  If a marriage is already at risk, then Facebook will make it easier to connect with others.  But if a marriage is already suffering from emotional connection and intimacy then Facebook will not be the cause of the end of the marriage.  I would much rather look at cause than symptom.  But then as I prepare to enter Ministerial training such comments help me to clarify my own vision for Ministry.

The idea of 'fasting from facebook' is actually quite interesting.  The key though I think is to be clear about why you've chosen to fast in the first place.  If this is about separating oneself from the attachment from Facebook or blogging (such as I have just done for a couple of weeks) as a part of showing an attachment whatfor, then I think there is value in that. 

And as for the Pope's comment, I think there's merit to human and real life connection.  But I think the comment is a bit of a glossary.  It provides a snapshot into an idea that is much more complex than how it's presented.  Do you honestly think that people will choose sending you a facebook message when they're face to face with you?  Of course not.  Is it possible that I might be motivated to go out less often because I connect with you on Facebook?  Maybe.  But then, sometimes it is nice to sit in the comfort of your own home and engage with friends on your own terms.  Don't feel in the mood for chatting?  Then review your inbox at your own pace.  However, the real benefit of Facebook is that it actually provides a way to build relationships with your real life friends because it offers a chance to build on that real life bond.  In addition, it also provides opportunities to connect with friends of friends. 

But beyond all this is an unshakable reality; humans crave relationship.  I have come to believe that a central reason for this is that relationships provide us a mirror for our journey.  Our friends and experiences with them provide us with awareness and fulfillment, and a chance to evolve in ways we could not do so alone.

I really did appreciate the example about a single mother posting a thank-you comment.  The pastor's response was great and an excellent example of my earlier point; Facebook offers an opportunity to connect away from real life meetings and to build on the relationship overall.  And in my opinion those spiritual leaders that talk about connecting with younger community members really are getting the idea.

I am glad to say that the Centres for Spiritual Living already operate a very democratic way.  The Religion I've brought into is all about suggesting ways in 'how' one might think and leaves the 'what to think' to the individual (and I'd have it no other way).  And the upcoming merger of the International and United Centres for Spiritual Living excites me on so many levels.  Not only is this a reverse of the trend of religious organizations splitting, but more importantly the definition of member communities (Centres and the like) is being relaxed to allow the inclusion of virtual, or on-line, Centres.  Dr. Kenn Gordon, the current President of the ICSL really gets the potential of the Internet and spiritual community. 

My vision around spirituality, and my Ministerial vision, and the Internet has evolved over the past 5 years or so.  I won't be surprised to reflect on this post in 5 years time and smile at how much it has evolved since now.  But regardless of what technology offers, and how it influences the human dynamic, it is still an expression of form.  It is the consciousness of the people behind the form (the technology and tools) that matters most.  Personally, I don't self-censor my posts based on who might read them.  I look to Social Media as a mirror.  If my comments, tweets and blog posts are depressing that's probably a reflection of where I am at.  And when you think about it, aren't your friends also a mirror?

No comments:

Post a Comment