Monday, November 9, 2009

Remembrance Day

The preparations for Remembrance Day have, as usual, been accompanied by advertisements on the television. The theme at least from the Canadian perspective is to not just observe but to get involved. More interesting, for me at least, was my initial reaction. I will confess that I am torn and believe this is a topic worthy of a blog for a number of reasons. This may well be one of the most challenging entries I am ever likely to make, even if only because of the potential to offend feelings and beliefs of the reader when weighing in on something that is as impactful as war and remembrance.

I suspect that my being raised in Britain, a culture that takes remembrance very seriously, conflicting with my recent spiritual journey has something to do with my reaction. The idea of remembering war and death provides a juxtaposition to metaphysical teaching. If anything, the focus of Spiritual Living is that you are what you think. Thinking about war runs contrary to my everyday intent. However, this is far from being a final position on my part; I would propose this is a topic that is not so simply resolved.

I have a number of memories related to the legacy of war and Remembrance Day. My grandfather served in World War II as a naval officer. He died when my mother was 15 and thus I was never to meet him. My mother idolized the memory of her father and spoke with pride about his service. She also told me the story of his throwing away his medals.

As far back as I can remember British television always made a big point of emphasizing the message of Remembrance Day. From the Poppy campaign, to the shows with military parades and services, Britain always seemed to spend a significant effort on remembering the fallout of war. And yet for an island that had the misfortune to be a key player in two World Wars this is hardly surprising.

Having never fought in a war I can only speculate at what might be passing through the mind of a veteran as they participate, or witness, the laying of a wreath. Perhaps there is a sense that the sacrifice is more meaningful if Remembrance Day serves to remind others of the value of peace? Or maybe, by remembering the lost we have an opportunity to contemplate why war is such a stain on humanity, and in turn shine a light on an idea that has fraught civilization since humans first learned how to swing a fist or throw a rock?

More recently there has been a shift in focus for some. For a few years now there has been a campaign for the white poppy. Following legal action the latest carnation of this idea is a white dove. I think the white dove is an improvement for a number of reasons, but I still cannot help but feel that the focus is still on Remembrance Day, as if one day is sufficient for a focus on peace.

The Edmonton Journal carried an article on November 7th called, "Students urged to act on wartime human-rights abuses." Lt.-Gen Romeo Dallaire, the Canadian who got to command the peacekeeping forces while the Rwandan genocide raged about and who disobeyed an order from the UN Secretary General to withdraw his troops based on information of their impending demise, is on a tour speaking to students. Dallaire had some 30,000 Rwandans under his protection. His withdrawal would have left those people for death. This is a man who has lived through genocide and had the opportunity for contemplation of war thrust upon him in the most violent of ways.

Dallaire brings a simple message; morality and ethics should be central to all decisions made within the world. He urges people to do more than claim powerlessness and get actively engaged in organizations that are dedicated to this type of cause. He believes that everyone has a responsibility to speak up and say such violence is not acceptable.

And yet for me, these perspectives whilst noble and meaningful are not quite enough. Perhaps I have been inspired by Ghandi's philosophy of active non-violence, where the belief must be that the truth will always win. There's clearly injustice in the world and I am with Dallaire that just sitting back is not enough. Yet I also believe that a paradox of life is that the harder we push, the more resistance we will encounter. War and remembrance provide an opportunity to contemplate injustice and genocides. Yet how much of my life is focused on peace? Do I need Remembrance Day to remember what peace is and why my whole life should be centred in a place of truth? And how does remembrance for peace sit against the realities of injustice?

There can only be a personal answer to these questions. Your answers must come from a place of personal contemplation, a decision to live your life wholly with awareness. At the same time I am reminded of the omnipotence of the Divine (God, Spirit, or whatever your bigger-than-life force is). If God is Infinite and everywhere, then surely war is consciousness playing itself out? The teachings of the Science of Mind tell us that "the key to freedom is the power of choice. As God is the life within us we have access to all the attributes of God. On our pathway to self-discovery we are free to choose our direction and area of involvement." Freedom is tied up with Unity because "no freedom can exist which denies or destroys the liberty or freedom of another part of that whole."

This leads me to conclude that war is an expression born of separation. War provides an experience and raises attention to choice, and the consequences of choice in its most dreadful forms. If this is true then some important questions come to mind:
  • Why and what am I remembering on Remembrance Day?
  • How is peace expressing itself in my life?
  • Is my every thought, word, and deed in line with the change I want to see in the world?
In writing this blog I knew I was taking a risk; this is not an easy topic to dissect for so many reasons. Yet I hope that the questions I've posed are worth putting front and center of any discussion around war and peace? I get to make my biggest impact by just being myself. Surely as I move through the world, and witness events such as Remembrance Day that understanding what war means to me and my life is the most meaningful activism I could get involved in.

Remembrance Day
Memories of a legacy,
war and Remembrance Day.
Impact both near and far.
Recalling peace as we pray.

I can only speculate,
at what passes through the mind,
of a veteran witnessing the laying,
of a wreath to be enshrined.

Yet for all the white coloured poppies,
or doves set to lapel,
is a single day of focus,
enough to light a searing hell?

Morality and ethics should be,
in all decisions to be made.
It takes more than claiming powerlessness,
to turn an unjust blade.

Philosophy of non-violence,
must stand squarely upon belief,
that Truth will always win,
regardless of short-term grief.

Remembrance provides opportunity,
to contemplate injustice and genocide.
How much of my life is peace?
The only answer found inside.

No freedom can exist,
that destroys of denies,
the liberty or freedom,
of any other beneath these skies.

War must be expression,
raising attention to killing done,
born of separation,
calculated firing of a gun.

What is it I'm remembering
on this Remembrance Day?
How is the world I want,
lived in what I do and what I say?

Copyright (c) 2009, Carmien Owen

No comments:

Post a Comment