Friday, March 13, 2009

The Peace after the Hurricane

Yesterday was the perfect example of a mental hurricane for me. The warning signs came around lunch time. I was in a discussion about client needs and suddenly got caught up realizing something big had been missed. I was dizzy, sick to my stomach and disorientated. However, after 30 minutes of this I remembered to be conscious. I called out the reality, claimed that we had the solution and found peace.

But apparently I wasn't done there. After one of the most intense days in memory I found myself experiencing the furor that follows sitting in the eye of the hurricane. Here's a rough summary:
  • I started working on connecting my new camera to the computer
  • I couldn't find the cable. So I reacted by freaking out
  • I found the cable, but then spent time struggling with how long it was taking
  • I then spent a bunch of time certain that I wouldn't be able to create the right format or export it
  • After that I moved into an internal discussion about how I would tell my friend we needed to film the session again (he's a reflexologist and this video is critical to his certification process)
  • And then in the middle of the most intense mental winds I stopped myself!

In the midst of my mental meltdown I managed to tell myself that it was all good and that I would come through this. It's hard to explain quite how this all felt but I can say that in the moment I claimed clarity and the solution I felt very, very tired and proceeded to crash.

I then woke up at 4 am and proceeded to confirm the videos had copied over, I could create the format I wanted. I then went on to prepare the beginning of my keynote address for April as well as the slides I'd need for the case study. This morning was like the fresh dawning peace, where everywhere I looked the calm stillness following the storm invaded my soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment