Saturday, February 14, 2009

A Bigger Idea - What do YOU think?

I was flicking through books at a bookstore tonight and found myself looking at a couple of encyclopaedias on Religion. Out of curiosity I decided to try and find New Thought.

I managed to find Vampirism.

But nothing on New Thought. I went so far as to scan every atlas and encyclopaedia on Religion in the store. By the time I was done I was stunned. “Vampirism” gets a mention but New Thought seems to be missing from the mainstream in many ways.

In thinking on this a few thoughts did tumble about my mind. There are many books and authors on subjects very compatible with New Thought that has significant bookstore space. Wayne Dyer, Deepak Chopra, and Marianne Williamson come immediately to mind.

As I worked through this observation I concluded that when the world, and individuals, is ready for New Thought it will all come together. At the same time the challenge with individual authors or ideas (such as The Secret and Oprah’s recent effort to popularize Eckhart Tolle through web courses) is the absence of community. Whilst I applaud Oprah’s efforts to bring Tolle to millions through the Web medium the common thread appears to be a wealth of ‘highlighting’ material with a lack of community to enrich and deepen the thoughts beyond.

That said I am aware that discussion forums did grow around some ideas (The Secret had a decent start in this regard). But the challenge with discussion forums is that they have to live; there has to be more than the curious leading the curious (I will return to this in future blogs - I've had a realization in this regard).

Community in spirituality is something I have come to deeply value. I have taken great strength from hearing and discussing spiritual ideas. If anything I would say the exchange and communication around abstract thinking has been very important for me over the past few years.

I believe I am very fortunate to live in a community that has a New Thought centre (and I appreciate how fortunate I am). I know there are many people reading books and being exposed to these ideas from afar that would relish community.

As I near the end of this blog I am inspired by the event earlier this evening. In experiencing an emotion I believe we should explore what opportunity there is for us. I confess that I had an emotional reaction to seeing Vampirism getting a mention whilst New Thought did not. In this moment I believe that this opportunity is clarifying my calling to Ministry. This blog is a part of that ministry, but it is just one blog. I think the idea of New Thought (or Science of Mind) being the ‘best kept secret’ is beyond done. It is time to embrace a much bigger idea.

I was recently approached by the Senior Minister at the Centre for Spiritual Living around a strategy for the Web. We have spoken on this before in the past and I have even blogged on this idea (http://consciouscalling.blogspot.com/2009/01/calling-let-us-leverage-law-of.html). I suggested that when we next come together that we start with a Visioning exercise.

The more I think on this the more I would like to encourage those of you reading this blog to collaborate with me in this exercise:

  • What would ‘you’ like to see for New Thought on the Web? What do you think God's highest vision for the Web and these ideas is?
  • What would you suggest to help build virtual communities? What must these communities become to empower this vision?
  • Is there anything you’ve thought of in the past that you felt would work well around this idea? How must this virtual community support growth and what must we know to embody this vision?
  • What must be released for there to be room for this vision?
  • What must be embraced for us to be ready for this vision?
  • What does this vision feel like, look like, smell like?
  • If there is please comment in this blog or email me at carmien_owen@shaw.ca

Even if all you have to say is ‘Go Carmien’ please do. This is one of those few points where some feedback of any kind would really be helpful.

I can think of no better way than to embark on my ministry of expanding New Thought to a better idea through the web than to collaborate with those I already share with on the Web. Something moved me tonight - I am ready for a bigger idea. Now I am curious to see if YOU have any thoughts on this?

No comments:

Post a Comment