Thursday, February 12, 2009

Compassion

During a class the other night we were discussing the frame of mind a Practitioner needs when approaching this work. The following sums up a realization I had for myself:

A Pracitioner must see the spiritual being while having compassion for the human being

Many of my blogs have some great ideals, intent and hopes. But in the end there's simple work to be done. What's the point of trying to ensure you can drive perfectly if you regularly fumble around for your keys, and scratch the door all the time in your haste to jump into the car?

Or to put it more simply - living mindfully is one thing. But the reality check - compassion is critical. It's as important to see the spiritual being in the person you are working with as a practitioner as it is to have compassion for the human being that they must be.

We live this human life, we experience the highs and the lows for a very good reason. By experiencing the bad we come to be stronger. We come to know what it feels like to be in that bad. We have freedom to make our choices so that God can celebrate that we choose It. And in turn, we come (hopefully) to a place where our deeper understanding helps us to have compassion for those going through similar experiences. There is much empowerment in empathizing or finding a better choice of words if you've been through a similar experience. For example, until a couple of years ago I couldn't relate very well to conversations about children. Now my daughter is enhancing that experience.

You might say that God can provide the answers during such times. And to that I would agree. Nothing is bigger than God. But in honouring experience and wisdom we can doubly benefit from the depth we have contemplated.

Of course, how we choose to respond to the bad greatly influences our ability to remember to remember. And as I begin this journey in service I already know that seeing the spiritual being through my eyes will be as important as having compassion for the human being through my heart. With these two eyes I will be able to perceive depth, just as our two physical eyes allow us to appreciate the depth of the physical world around us. Take away one eye and the world is not the same.

Blessings, joy and peace my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment