Monday, February 23, 2009

Celebration

Sometimes it is easy to forget. For me my professional world is perhaps where I am most challenged to remain constantly conscious. I run my own consulting practice. My main client at this time is in the health field and is highly political. However, that's simply the 'story'.

Last week I had a moment where I was taken by surprise. At the time the situation evoked an emotional reaction within that I struggled to contain. As I refect on this I believe I did fairly well in managing to focus on the real interests (I went so far as to express what my interest in the situation was without sounding 'too' frustrated). But I know that within I experienced a physical reaction that I normally associate with fear; my stomach was in knots and emotionally I felt concern at what might happen.

And therein is the key - I lost focus on the moment and more importantly forgot that it IS all good. In being concerned at what might be we lose what is. I was able to remind myself to be conscious fairly quickly. But over the next day or so thoughts about this situation would flash jump into my mind (yes, the mOnkEY was in full swing through the forest's foliage).

A few days later it became completely apparent that everything was indeed perfect.

Why did I go through this self-inflicted stress? Upon reflection I believe that the situation evoked a fear that someone else was trying to 'take over'. I have had a deeper belief of not being good enough - an opportunity for visioning and treatmen I think. The situation triggered that belief and inwardly I felt the emotional pull to evert my authority.

I celebrate my awareness! It might not have been my ideal - but my reaction was tempered. I also celebrate this blog reflecting on what happened. This effort to reflect has highlighted a deeper belief, provided me a focus to work in the future, and aligns with my vision for mindfulness all the time.

In turn, I would suggest while mindfulness (and prayerfulness) is critical celebration is also important. Celebration is positive reinforcement. Spending time berating the mOnkEY is a good way to negatively reinforce behaviour - or punish yourself. Psychologists would invariably recommend positive reinforcement over punishment.

Our perspective of a reaction provides an opportunity to see where we truly are. Our taking the time to reflect honestly with ourselves gives us a chance to see where we are as well as where we have come from. And our realization of any success in terms of mindfulness should always be celebrated.

Be good to yourself and celebrate your successes, no matter how big or small. Positively reinforce your every success. They are precious and worthy of your love.

No comments:

Post a Comment