Monday, February 2, 2009

A Spiritual Snapshot from the Past

During a recent meditation I had a fleeting image prompting me to pull out my journals. I recommend the practice of journaling as a great aspect of a path to mindfulness. This experience of reviewing words written in the past brought me great joy this evening.

To set the scene; my mother had passed away only a month before and I was sitting in my first ‘Path of Discovery’ class. Who is to say what contributed most to what I wrote? Perhaps this was a foray into a new found level of integrity? Yet as I look back I believe that I was going through one of the most significant transformations of my life until that time.

As I read this passage earlier this evening my first instinct was to ponder what might be rewritten. But a few moments later I cast such thoughts aside as silly. My heart compels me to offer these words of mine from the past with a heart cracked wide open.

Blessings, joy and peace my friends!

Have you ever walked into a room filled with people and been dazzled by life? Yesterday, I found myself walking into a store surprised by the watering in my eyes. The subtle tears were not from sadness; in that moment I was greeting the divinity in everyone I could see. I did not need to actually meet those that moved around me for we are already met. Only forgetfulness separates us, and in that instant I could remember all.

Ernest Holmes once said that "the individual mind is not really individual but individualized." This statement succinctly captures what Spirit's Unity is to me. My perspective today is not that I am growing, but that I am recalling what Spirit already knows. Only I can limit my capacity to create. Only I can forget that the Universe wants me to know all that I should, to love all that I can, and to inspire others to remember as I am beginning to.

This One Power in the Universe is all knowing and all powerful. The Law of Choice that I abide by is willing to be used as I would use it. However, only through disconnection and fear do I make choices that separate me.

As a child I recall looking to the sky at God, as if Spirit was somehow to blame, somehow the cause of my pain. As an adult my work has just begun, but still find myself occasionally shaking my fist at that ‘God in the heavens’. Yet, I am slowly coming to realize that the limit of my ability to use the power of creation is handicapped only by my failure to truly understand. Now, it is up to me to recognize when an effect has manifested. Fortunately there is also plenty of joy in recognizing beautiful cause in action. And each day I feel this joy my faith is strengthened and I find myself less willing to shake my fist as I once did.

Moving forward I am exploring with others the journey to understanding that every person is God's opportunity to reveal itself. As I live in this luminosity my thoughts shift. And following my heart’s desire I know God is Unity in my life and that there is nothing too extreme to request.

No comments:

Post a Comment