Sunday, February 1, 2009

Hope and Vision

What is hope? Can hope and treatment co-exist effectively?

These questions were originally triggered for me within a class of spiritual study a couple of years ago. The premise of discussion was that the idea of a hope would run contrary to the idea of a 'knowing' that is required for an affirmation (or treatment). At the time I think I opted to place the use of the word hope into a drawer and from then on focused on the knowing.

Wikipedia describes hope as "a belief in a positive outcome related to events and circumstances in one's life. Hope is the feeling that what is wanted can be had or that events will turn out for the best." In retrospect this definition certainly supports the initial idea – hope is about a belief in an outcome. Inserting the word 'hope' into an affirmation would not be as clear as a statement of knowing here and now. The clarity of thinking being placed into the Law would be obscured at best.

But there is more to hope than a semantic. Hope is powerful concept. Kingdoms have been raised on its compulsion, and love serenaded by its passion. And perhaps therein is something worth pondering further? Should a word with such potency and historical consciousness be set aside not to be used again?

What if there is a better place than a treatment for hope, where the statement of knowing is not so essential? One school of (new) thought is that creation is built upon the foundation of meditation, visioning and treatment. Could hope have a home in visioning?

A discussion of what visioning is will be saved for another time. However, I do believe that there is power in hope within the visioning process. Perhaps there is room for a question such as, “What are my hopes for this highest vision?”

And as I went to continue this train of thought it was interrupted by a bend in the tracks – “but what of seeking God without purpose? Would hope really have a place there?”

For today at least I have my answer to this mental meandering and I shall cease tooting my whistle. After all, it has taken me over two years to rekindle my discussion of what hope means to me. I shall humbly stop typing now and leave you the option of contemplating what your answer might be.

Blessings, joy and peace my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment