Saturday, May 29, 2010

The Art of Perception

I once heard a story about a plane flight.  The plane hit a rough patch of turbulance and pretty soon everyone was holding onto their chairs and checking their seatbelts.  That is, except for a young boy near the front.  After a few minutes of 100 feet dips and climbs he started to shout out, "WEEEEEEEE...." The boy it seemed had no notion of fear in that moment, and decided that the rollercoaster ride was worth celebrating.

That has to be one of the most profound stories about perception I've ever heard.  That said were I to start shouting WEEEEEEE during the next flight of turbulance I'd better be very sure that I really mean it.  Trying to emulate that boy with anything less than complete instinctive joy would make Emerson turn in his grave.  And yet, I am resolved to inwardly know joy and gratitude toward all events, choices, and expressions with integrity (regardless of belief driven prejudice, or my 'likes').

I was reminded of the above story when earlier today I read a tweet that I'd like to paraphrase.  A great way to embrace a spiritual life is to practice the art of gasping.  It begs the question, when was the last time I gasped in wonder?  There's something about simple that always reminds me of the Divine. 

At the same time I have to say that Twitter is a lot of fun.  Capturing a thought in 140 characters or less really strikes me as a great constraint for simplicity.  Twitter is, in my humble opinion, a great tool for practicing the Presence.

Over the past few days I've found myself reading a great many Tweets, and in turn being inspired to share my own.  As I reflect upon this phase of my journey I am struck by how applicable perception is to the Twitter experience.  I've seen a multitude of expression from the virtuous to the wicked, across a spectrum that starts from inspiring introspection to extroverted judgment. Yet I cannot help but be reminded that my perception is instrumental to my experience.  Taking exception to the expression of others is a sure way to slip down that slippery slope, you know, where toward the bottom we become that which we detest; our inward criticism bursting forth to become words that fail to accept.  And yet with a practiced hand at the art of perception we will find criticism dispelled in the light of Truth.

I have a sneaking suspicion that this blog entry is actually motivated by a selfish desire on the part of my higher self to recall acceptance and mindfully practice the art of perception.  And in that vein I shall quote one of my own Tweets posted earlier today:
I cannot find any place where the created is separate from the Creator. A failure to live in spiritual acceptance then is to judge God.
Find me on Twitter as @KnowTheFlow

1 comment:

  1. Carmien/Bodhi;

    I am ushered into a new room, in my life. You have been one of the supports of this. All the teachings and directions (sign post) seem to be coming together in real movement into the next room. It’s taken 2 years of solitude (unemployment) to give up ‘knowing’ and then to ask/listen. I am quite curious of how it is playing out. And ever more eager for the action of the ‘playing it out’.

    Patricia/PatCeCe

    ReplyDelete