Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Getting Techaphysical

A friend of mine recently posted a comment on my blog about my living a noble purpose for technology.  As someone who is learning how to listen each day I paused and made an effort to dig beyond the surface. 

After some moments of reflection I'm deeply touched by what she is reflecting in me.  When I am moved (an emotional reaction) I like to enquire as to the feelings being expressed and the beliefs influencing how I feel.  As a part of some self-enquiry I then got to wondering what actions I might be taking that would support such a statement.  Why can I believe in what she sees in me?  And why would I be so touched by her words of love?

Yesterday, with less than 24 hours on Twitter and convinced that it is a great tool to practice the Presence, I invented a new word.  Techaphysics (or being techaphysical): the use of technology concerned with abstract thoughts related to Spiritual Truth.  Or put more simply: I see technology as a tool to enable the sharing of ideas around 'mindfuless, awareness, wisdom, and kindness'.

Around 5 years ago I took the first step on a path that I now view as the most significant journey of transformation in my experience thus far.  After discovering the Centre for Spiritual Living, Edmonton, and The Science of Mind, I started on a phase of my life journey that has been a complete re-invention of who I am and how I live my life.  In short, I started to learn how to think.

However, I'd been playing with technology for many years already (regular followers of my blog will have read posts about this part of my story, including how I met my wife on-line).  And then about 3 years ago an idea began to form.  What if I could combine my passions for spiritual living and technology?

In January 2009 I began this blog.  On February 9th, 2009, I began leading a daily meditation circle in Second Life. A short while later I created a Facebook page.  And as of yesterday I created a Twitter account called KnowTheFlow.

But what does it mean to get techaphysical?  In short, I've invented this word because I felt drawn to create a label that encapsulated the idea of living my highest self with loving-kindness through technology.  There is a spiritual principle that when I give joyfully, and without attachment to an outcome, I shall receive in kind (the Law of Circulation).  The same spiritual principle applies when you are giving to others through technology.  I don't tweet, blog, or share on Second Life with any expectations.  I simply share what is longing to be expressed, and I celebrate that the Divine extended the gift of being able to express myself through the written and spoken word.

When I have a thought that jumps into my mind I tweet about it (and I can forward my tweets onto Facebook).  When I have a string of thoughts, or a bigger idea, I blog about them.  And each day at 9.30pm PST I lead a meditation group.  I am truly humbled by those that gather each day to share this time with me, and the 130+ people that have been touched by this community in some way.  The daily meditation group in Second Life is another techaphysical joy.  The community that is forming there, the wonderful expressions of the Divine I have met and come to call friends, truly is a wonder.  Each day I get to hear wisdom, and to learn from, so many wonderful people.  Each day I marvel at how much wisdom and loving-kindness there is in the world.

My life's purpose is to inspire and support the transformation of consciousness.  When I first started visiting Second Life someone suggested that people went to this virtual 3D world to escape reality.  My reaction then (and it remains the same) was that if I am thinking in Second Life then surely I am escaping nothing, for wherever I go and wherever I think I perceive my reality.  Getting techaphysical is, simply put, one way of my living my purpose.  Every tweet I read is a gift to recognize the Presence, and every tweet I make a chance to practice the Presence.  Every evening I spend with the Community for Spiritual Living in Second Life is a chance to learn and bask in loving-awareness.  And every blog I post is a chance to reflect, contemplate, and celebrate. 

In short, my getting techaphysical has enabled me to effortlessly bring two passions together.  Now isn't that worth a new word?

No comments:

Post a Comment