Friday, May 14, 2010

Feelings

I was reading a passage tonight that jumped out at me.  "Feelings get our attention.  They give us clues to the buried beliefs of past experience.  They are built-in guides to what needs to be released to make way for a greater expression of God.  They are a part of us that enables us to be self-healing entities."

There's something profoundly beautiful in this statement.  I have been working on understanding my emotional reactions, seeking to understand the difference between reaction and response.  A part of my internal work has been about contemplating the way in which my feelings express as emotion.  And yet, if the above is true (and it sounds like the truth to me) then the matter of import is not that I react but that I critically think about how I can heal through the experience of emotion.  I think I am seeing that emotions can help me understand what needs to be released by way of belief, value or attitude. 

In this moment, as I write these words, I have a sense that something is unlocking for me.  I've been drifting on a sea like driftwood for a while now on the topic of my emotions. How timely this is.  Tomorrow I spend a day in retreat as a part of the final day of class as a Practitioner Intern.  On June 12th we take our final exam.  September will see our oral panel and I am already receiving letters of demonstration as a Practitioner.  On one hand I feel like I am making breakthroughs so often now.  And yet on the other hand it feels like I am just beginning.  How beautiful the idea of emotions seem to me now.

My feelings better describe what God means to me than my words ever could.

Know the Flow as you go.

1 comment:

  1. It is an honor to be present on this path with you, as we walk together for awhile. I have been overwhelmed by my own feelings and sorting them out. It is a gift to see the value and insight for them. You have helped with me able to look at and not run from my feelings. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete