Sunday, May 9, 2010

Purpose

Have you ever asked yourself, "why am I here?" If you are asking yourself this question now then you are likely living without purpose. When we have a purpose, when we live purposefully, we know why we are here.

Did you ever see an animal wandering around aimlessly? Efficient is the hunt or the search for food, and yet always the purpose to eat is clear. Or to find safety, or reproduce.

A person who has come to know their purpose has often found it amidst the angst and strife of this world. I believe that a part of the reason for the 'Law of Experience' is to bring us to the edge of our limit, to stretch us until we are torn away from old ideas. But for all the tension I also believe the Universe will never give us more than we can handle, and there will always be support should we ask for it.

I have walked to the edge of an abyss in my time. I have known on a couple of occasions such loss that something deep within me was stirred. Amidst the transient things and the shadows a part of me always knew that there was something to soar for. And yet for many years beyond the temporary happiness and the fleeting joys it took a conscious realization of 'why I am here' to rouse me.

Of late my personal live vision, or purpose, is 'to inspire and support the transformation of consciousness'. This came from a number of 'visioning' exercises and much meditation. The clarity of this purpose has become like a beacon to me. When deep amongst the tears of my three year old daughter, the challenges of my business life, and the sorrow and suffering of others about me I have found my purpose to be like a solid foundation upon which I am building myself. More and more I now find that when I am thrown into confusion that my purpose rises like a beacon and makes my way clear.

In thinking about this purpose of mine I think that what provides the most strength is the constant and eternal nature of it. A focus of purpose on consciousness is not some trivial matter. It is my compass, and guides me as I set my ship to a course through storms and dangerous reefs.

When I think back to the years where I had no clear purpose I recall uncertainty, fear, and chaos. I am becoming to believe that the clarity of purpose lines up beautifully behind the idea that when I fix myself I contribute to the greater consciousness about me. Recently I was thinking about the idea of world peace, and concluded that we will only ever find world peace when each individual has found peace within themselves. When the Truth of peace and freedom is the purpose of every living soul then we shall know world peace.

Perhaps every living soul is not quite ready for such a Truth. But I would suggest that everyone, regardless of how aware they are, is ready to answer the question, why am I here? Indeed, the question 'What is my purpose?' may be the most profound question we can ask ourselves. And I also suspect that once you ask such questions of yourself from a place of integrity you will never be the same again. It is a question that urges an eternal demand.

Everyone has a mind capable of thought. Some minds are unconsciously caught up in a story of victim, wondering why is this happening to them. I suspect that many victims have not asked themselves about their purpose. Those wandering from path to path, shrine to shrine, church to church, gathering experience of creed and ritual face the danger of never knowing where to turn for comfort. And to such individuals I would suggest consider seeking your purpose. No one can tell you your purpose. This is an answer that you have within you, and no amount of searching will find it for you.  Meditate and ask yourself what is God, or Spirit's, highest vision for you.  What must you become for this vision to manifest, what must you release and embrace.  Become clear on what you must commit to this vision.  And if you've a vibrant imagination try to imagine what this vision looks, feels, and smells like.

For my part, I recall lying in the basement of a friend who had taken pity upon me and had put me up for a few months when I was broke and lost in the world. Towards the end of this stay I caught pneumonia. I will likely remember lying on that uncomfortable couch, in the cold air of a dark and damp basement for the rest of my days. In the shadows of my abyss something was stirred deep within me. My critical moment, the dissonance I needed, moved me to begin an awakening. And some 15 years later I am now coming to prize the value of my 'purpose' as much as I prize seeing the world through the eyes of compassion.

With a purpose life has become simpler. In setting a course with confidence I am able to guide myself without fear. Regardless of the conditions about me I am drawn inward upon a timeless foundation that transcends any condition.

No comments:

Post a Comment