Friday, April 23, 2010

When One Door Closes...

Back in January I posted about a situation in my life where an equity deal around my business fell through.  When I got the news I posted this reply and in turn received an email back from him.

At the time I could not have known about the why of this situation.  In spite of the adversity I managed to surrender.  Over a period of 2-3 months I settled down into a time of deep spiritual work.  It was as if I was healing in my own way.  On one hand, I had consciously let the situation go.  On the other hand, I withdrew from my business.  I still had some contract work.  However, as I reflect it is clear that much of the fire behind the vision for my business had gone out.  I was not pushing my creative focus in this direction.  And upon further reflection I believe that consciously I had surrendered; there was a hidden part of me that was wondering if the event had been a sign to redirect myself in more spiritual pursuits.

As I look back I see much good from this and it is clear to me that the process of creation is an interesting one.  Last week I had occasion to fully re-engage in my business by going to a summit on the technology I'm deeply involved with.  On the first day I noticed that one of the speakers was someone I'd worked with in the past (they'd been a field engineer with the vendor and I was in effect a business analysis with the client).  We'd gotten on very well and I'd been impressed with his work. 

I approached him before his session and introduced myself.  He remembered me and after the session we got to talking.  It turned out he'd left the vendor about 6 months ago and was now based in Calgary.  I mentioned an idea of mine I had and before we knew it it turned out that we had a very compatible vision.  We continued to connect and before long agreed to explore a partnership.

This past Tuesday we met for 4 hours and came to an agreement in principle on a partnership.  It turns out that we are the ideal business match.  He's the technology brains and I'm the business brains.  Together we're a bit of a dream team in some ways.  And we're in the process of incorporating a partnership that will create some exciting new products.

Last night I stumbled over the reply I sent to my friend in the previous blogs and sent an update to him.  For you see I was clear on one thing.  One door had closed, but another one has been blown open.  I can now see much more of the why, and yet I wouldn't change a single thing.  Learning how to surrender is a continuing journey and this series of event were a powerful step along my path to surrender.

Know the Flow as you go.

No comments:

Post a Comment