Wednesday, August 19, 2009

A Sufi's Story

During the morning's session of Circle of Love I was able to hear and see Kabir Helminski, a shaikh of the Mevlevi Order of Sufism. With two gift musicians (Ruby - Lisa Ferraro & Erika Luckett) at his side, the trio shared a beautiful story of words and music.

Kabir began a weaving poems of Rumi and 11 songs from their album, On the Way of Love. I sat for the most part with my eyes closed, quickened by the experience. And as is my custom (now) I was inspired with a poem.

A Sufi's Story

We may not have the same context,
And we shall trust to our language of love,
I shall lovingly invite us one,
To have sweet Divine touch.
And even your chair of sharing,
Brought to us music and story,
These attributes to which I'm defenseless,
The root of our root our glory.

The sweetness of this fruit,
Description rarely understood,
We shall recklessly do justice,
To what you eat, drink, your food.
Suddenly there is essence of You,
Gently I ask, 'What is You?'
My cheeks vibrate and I float,
I breath into life, from Truth.

How could I go back to sleep now?
The fish are swimming together,
The butterfly dancing my mind's eye,
Drunken carousing, loosed tether.

(c) Copyright 2009, Carmien Owen

No comments:

Post a Comment