Saturday, June 5, 2010

The Experience of Surrender and the Deepening of Faith

Last night I had the honour to support someone in their moment of need.  Someone who meditates with me in the daily meditation circles in Second Life wanted support with an experience they were having.  They wanted to talk with me as a Practitioner.  By the time we were done I was deeply moved along my own path.

Those of you who follow my blog will likely recall my writing about studying to become a Professional Practitioner (RScP) with the International Centres for Spiritual Living.  Such sessions are a part of how a Practitioner serves.  In effect I am training to be a spiritual coach.  A Practitioner listens from a place of love, knowing the God and perfection in the person coming to them for support, looks for the mental cause behind the condition through listening and questions, and then offers an Affirmative Prayer to complete the process.  The basic idea is that we have everything within us to reveal Wholeness, but sometimes we need a little help.  A Practitioner is trained in the art and science of revealing Truth.

During my Practitioner internship these past few months I've had the honor of supporting a number of people.  However, as I sat down last night and began to listen I had a most interesting experience.  I started to feel fear.  As I listened to them share their story I felt as if I was out of my depth.  Have you ever had that sense of feeling like a fraud, as if you were not qualified or experienced enough?  Well that's how I felt.  The more I heard the more intense the situation sounded.  

And then a beautiful thing happened.  I suddenly felt a surge of love and in my heart I had this sense of surrender.  I knew that I had to simply hold a knowing that both I and the person opening their heart to me were coming together as two aspects of the Divine.  And so I released the fear.  I told myself that I should listen and allow the whispers of Truth to reveal what needed to be revealed for perfect healing.  And in that moment I suddenly knew that everything that needed to be revealed would be. 

As I sit back and consider this experience in the light of hindsight I believe that my spiritual practice and placing my faith in God in that challenging moment resulted in a magnificent outcome.  For you see, as the session unfolded I became the observer centered in a knowing of Love.  Questions from nowhere jumped into my mind.  Those questions helped the person I was working with to dig deeper and past the 'story' toward cause  And then we had it: in a flash the Mental Cause was realized and the true healing began.  I felt that surge of connection and love, every fibre of my being knowing that something had shifted.  And in turn, their voice and their tears confirmed the realization.

I am reminded of the saying, "I might not know what to do, but Something within me always does."  Surrender is not about giving up or giving in, it is about giving over everything, all our fears and doubts to God.  For me last night was a precious experience.  I allowed myself to truly surrender and then got to witness Divine experience move through us.  My belief and faith has shifted and been strengthened for this experience.  The more we are reminded that God can take care of all our needs, if we would allow it, the stronger our faith becomes. 

2 comments:

  1. June 2010
    What happen I knew there was something invisible to me that was cause of events not happening as I said I wanted, i.e. happy successful relationship, balance finances, work I enjoy.
    I went to talk over it with practitioner to see what was invisible to me.
    He held the thought I had God (Divine power) within me and therefore had the answers.
    As I talked, I said there was a story and past disasters (the disasters everyone would agree were real).
    He then asked me to go father back into time for the feelings I was feeling. This brought me to my father’s death when I was 8.

    I had done much work in healing this time in my life, I also knew it was not completed but didn’t know what else to do.

    Then I saw this little girl-Patty- at 8 lost no one she had to help her with thru this heart breaking time. Her mom was in deep grief, and Patty was 8 with out the skills to know of how she could address her feelings or deal with events around her. She was pissed. Mad at being sucked with it all. Mad her father died, and felt unloved by everyone else.
    Not all was this true. Her Mom did love her greatly, was unable to see past her own grief.
    The other people that were around were in grief or simply didn't know what to do. Didn’t even know Patty needed anything. Patty closed off and shut down and was mad and hurt and sad.
    In looking at this I saw how this was all 'a thought' I had held onto for all these years, and not LOOKED at it. Now after much support, learning I can take care of myself in the real world, going through a few counseling’s, was strong enough to LOOK and see the truth. The pain was in "fearing to look." it kept a part of me dislocated from myself.
    It was 'the looking' that made the difference. It was telling the truth of what was happen in that present moment, seeing the bag of trash that I still held in this present moment. It was having someone standing next to me, and they knew the truth when I was blinded to the truth.
    I saw my blind spot, with great determination for wanting to see it once and for all, unwilling to be side-tracked again.
    To describe what is was for me to look, seems there is no words for. I have done many things. Listen to many teachers along the way to get me here. This life changing moment seems still not fully described.
    What I can tell you now is a thorn that was unbearable painful and I didn’t know was there; is now seen, identified, and out. The pain is going with it. I am different and more myself in all things.
    I had great help from coaches and teachers.
    I am now here, past it all, pulling my life together. It had been falling apart for some time. It’s not all together in the way of the world, and I know it will be.
    God is my source, all things are possible.
    I am Happy to give up-dates.
    I am truly surrounded with people who truly love me, understand me, hope for the best for me, and let me be myself as is true for me. (Could not see this before, and was sure it was not true.)
    This is the gift I can now see, I have been given "the eyes to see."
    A few those who are to be acknowledged for support are,
    Carmien Owen-Bodhi
    ConniJean
    Jinbabba
    Sridhar-Aurav

    ReplyDelete
  2. I experienced this same thing thing, years ago while in a spiritual chat room. The thoughts, ideas, and words that moved through me, I simply allowed and spoke. I say "moved through me" because they were not MY words, ideas, or thoughts. At first I struggled with saying anything because a part of my consciousness was very aware of what was being conveyed and how harsh it sounded given the pain this particular individual was obviously feeling. But the sense of it all was simply too strong and I allowed it to have passage. The most beautiful thing occurred- she was open to the Spirit and heard what was being said. I felt this most awesome sense of peace come upon her, even as everyone else in the "room", witnessing the event, berated "me" for my harsh words. She thanked me and we let it go.
    Chleelis

    ReplyDelete