Monday, June 21, 2010

Workshop Idea: "Awakening the Sacred Self"

On Sunday afternoon I was reading, meditating, and generally enjoying a chance to relax.  At some point an idea jumped into my head.  "What about a series of workshops designed to awaken the Sacred Self?"  I knew that it was an inspired idea because I was suddenly filled with a great sense of peace, joy, and energy.  I then proceeded to begin to sketch out an outline.  Tonight  I returned to this outline and after a couple of hours suddenly found myself having drawn 4 different books from my library, and had in short order written the content for the first evening of this workshop.

As I sit back and prepare for meditation I cannot help but smile at myself.  It would seem that this little innocent 'idea' is becoming a serious project.  I'm not certain quite how it will end up but I suspect that it's going to be a lot of fun to put together.  For one thing, I still have an outstanding assignment for my Practitioner Intern training to write up a workshop outline: I'll be checking THAT one off the to-do list soon enough! 

But perhaps more interestingly, this is playing on an internal conversation I've been having for a few months.  When I first started the daily meditation circles in Second Life (we meditate every evening at 9.30pm PST) I had wondered at bringing SOM cirriculum into that environment.  However, it was not long before I discovered that there would some challenges with that.  For one thing, the general practice is for Ministers to deliver such training (at least if it is to be accepted for credits for students).  In addition, the organization that owns that content is apparently preparing to expand this cirriculum online.  I'm a big fan of 'effortless' and once I realized that such an approach would actually be quite complex I released the idea to the Universe.

Then about two months ago I began to consciously sprinkle Science of Mind teachings in the form of 10 minute snippets before each meditation.  To help set the context you should know that each evening we open with an invocation to set sacred space, I share the context for the meditation for the evening along with spiritual truths that come to mind, we meditate for 20-30 minutes, and then I close with an affirmative prayer.  We then rest for a while and share in community.  Sometimes this is 30 minutes and sometimes we've stayed chatting for 2 hours.

As I look at what has started to unfold I'm excited by this.  For one thing, a selfish motive is behind this; I want to take this journey that is being revealed to me myself.  For another thing, it would be wonderful to share this journey with others in Second Life.  This workshop would take my online efforts to another level.  And of course, by authoring this body of work (but drawing on some well trodden spiritual pathways and ideas) I bypass any concerns about stepping on toes.  It really does strike me as a win-win.

I also realized that such a workshop would require a different approach.  I've yet to determine quite how this will look but I'm drawn to the idea of a weekly event, likely around 7.30pm PST on Sundays.  And unlike the meditations I shall be approaching the 150 or so members of the Second Life Community for Spiritual Living for a commitment.  The central idea being, that attendance is expected and some exchange of energy will be required.  The idea that comes to mind is that even if just 1-2 truly committed people show up, that will be 1 or 2 people who will be sharing this journey with me in consciousness. 

If you're someone who frequents Second Life and are intrigued by this idea please feel free to IM me, send me a Notecard, or leave a Comment with your SL name below.  I cannot make any promises, but if the fit feels right then I'd love to share this journey with you.

Know the Flow as you go,
Carmien

PS. Now, I've really gone and done it!  By blogging about this I HAVE to deliver on this project.  :)

PPS. And obviously, this workshop will be something that can be delivered in Real Life as well.

3 comments:

  1. Hi! Totally inspired as I am with your meditation group! Alas I have
    only attempted second life a couple of times and haven't gotten
    far! It seems a big learning curve, what am I missing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's problably worth a phone call to walk you through it (comments on my blog won't cut it I don't think). Send me a message through Facebook and we'll get you set up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a very interesting project, Bodhi :)

    ReplyDelete