Sunday, June 27, 2010

Surprising Gifts

Sometimes it can be an interesting moment of courage to know that you need time for yourself.  This past weekend my wife and I were invited to a wedding on Friday night and a house concert on the Saturday night.  However, the Friday night was also my wedding anniversary.  On Thursday evening my wife and I decided that we needed some time to ourselves.  At the time it just felt as though I was drawn to peace.  We had a lovely time and took time for ourselves, to share time and space together.

My wife shared the following poem with me.  It turns out she'd been writing it for three days.  As I consider the past couple of days I celebrate that I honoured the needs of myself and my wife.  Yes, this was selfish, but then what is selfishness next to an unauthentic effort to attend a wedding.  If your heart is not in the giving, then what is the point of the gift? 

Between Space and Time

The rain fell that day
Tiny prisms of captured moments
Arms outstretched, you embraced
Your unguarded heart
And the fullness of your potential.

Moment by moment I've watched you
Unfolding, yielding to your truth
Replacing the bitter stains of disillusionment
As each new experience peeled away
The masque
And only your brilliance remained.

Today you stand
Where soul meets body
The point of intersection
Between space and time
Answering the challenge
To remember the Truth
In thought and word and deed
Walking through mirrored light
To stand in Source.


She told me that she had written this poem about me and for me.  After 11 years of marriage we have indeed travelled far and wide.  We have explored our oceans and our shores.  We have encountered storms, feel the mainsail stretched to its limit.  Yet the ship has come now upon a calm stretch of ocean.  The cries of a seagull can be heard floating overhead.  The waves lap upon the hull and as I look my sight is set upon my centre and my horizon.  Here is the partner I have chosen to spend my life with reflecting through this poem what she has perceived in me.  She was perhaps the first person in my life to believe in me.  I cannot speak for what might have happened had I not met her.  But here I am now speaking for what has happened.  And for all my blogs, poems, and tweets I believe she has done a better and more artistic job of capturing me than I could ever done.

Relationships can become partnerships.  The lessons of relationships are about awareness, fulfillment, and healing.  Somehow, and I am not certain as to that how, I attracted my wife into my life.  She has ever raised a mirror to me, reflecting the truth of who I am.  Her belief in who I am has allowed me to come to experience fulfillment.  And yes, all this and more has supported the healing I have done for myself.

Thank you, dearest partner.  This is a magnificent path we walk together.

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad that you have discovered a partnership that uplifts and supports and inspires you, Carmien! But know that YOU attracted such a magnificent person in your life because of your own magnificence. This does not work any other way ;)

    ReplyDelete