Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Joyfully Reverent

You may have noticed that I posted a new picture on my blog (as well as my Twitter and Facebook profiles).  The latest picture was taken last week at a restaurant (Lit in Edmonton - AMAZING food by the way), where my wife and I were celebrating our 11th wedding anniversary.  Not only does the picture capture how much fun I was having but I think represents how I am feeling these days.  The term that comes to mind when I look at this picture, and when I think about my general state of mind is 'joyfully reverent'.

After this phrase came to mind I took a look at the definition for reverent; "feeling, exhibiting, or characterized by reverence; deeply respectful: a reverent greeting." The word reverent really does nail much of my state of mind.  I have a feeling, and I exhibit this feeling wherever I go, of a deep respect for life.  In each moment (or as often as I remember) I respectfully greet God in the most profound of ways.  And through all that is a sense of joy.  I am finding joy all around me, but I know that this is a reflection of the way I look at the world.

After these past 5 years of serious spiritual study I have a dual sense of how things are.  On one hand I feel like I am only just beginning.  On the other hand I feel like I have made great strides.  The past couple of days in particular have exemplified this sense of emotional well-being.  I celebrate that of late I have made a significant leap forward.  The types of situations that would have caused me to lose my centeredness to an emotional reaction are now receeding.  And yet, I know that this is just a beginning.  But why would I say that?

For one thing I know that spiritual practice and the development of mindfulness is a daily affair with God.  Each day is an appointment with life.  The contempary mystic cannot content themselves with getting a permit from the Bishop to go and hide in a cave somewhere.  In the modern day you get to go out into the world and LIVE.  The value of this is significant.  At the very least the challenges of life stretch you and teach you to hold compassion for others who are living life.  In short, when you set the vision of being a contempary mystic and you live mindfully you show up in an accessible way.

And yet, each day is a reminder in humility.  If I am to live my vision of inspiring and supporting the transformation of consciousness, each day will require my full and present attention on the Divine.  As I look to my actions I celebrate the journey that is just beginning for me.  These blogs are a step in this direction.  I also tweet as @KnowTheFlow, and these tweets are forwarded onto Facebook.  I am hearing wonderful feedback from people who say they really enjoy reading my messages.  But behind all this is a sense of being joyfully reverent. 

When I tweet as I do I am capturing where I am in the moment.  Not long after finding Twitter I discovered that it is a wonderful tool for practicing the Presence.  I find myself pausing at a mindful thought and turn to my iPhone to share it.  It has become a virtuous circle, where the idea of capturing and publishing such thoughts is reminding me to practice the Presence, and the more I practice the more I find myself with joyous thoughts to post.

And so when you read these blogs and my tweets know that I really am joyfully reverent.  The picture is another expression of this.  Know the Flow as you go.

No comments:

Post a Comment