Sunday, August 15, 2010

A Shout out to Citizen

This weekend has been filled with many wonderful insights, and a transformation or two (which I will blog about later).  However, before I get to that I wanted to make a shout out to Citizen.

This morning at church the guest soloist was introduced with the statement that they'd never had a Hip Hop artist perform at the Centre.  And so Citizen got up and proceeded to perform two of his songs.  The easiest way to describe his music is to call it spiritual hip hop with a hint of drum and bass.  Of course, I'm perhaps showing my age and my background.  Allow me to explain.

When I was in my late teens I went through a huge rap, hip hop, and breakdancing phase.  It was the thing of the time amongst me and my friends.  And given the poet I am it should come as no surprise to you to read that I spent some moments of my own on the mic.

And with his CD in my car player I had the opportunity to spend the rest of the day driving around with the music of Citizen.  He's good live, but man, his CD is one the best rap mixes I've heard in a long time.  But what's got me so excited?  Well, the lyrics.  This is an artist who fits lines like 'Om Shanti Om' in his rhymes. 

If you want to take a look for yourself, go to mastrzofthayoonavrce.bandcamp.com and take a look at the music of citizen.

Know the Flow as you go, my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment