Thursday, September 10, 2009

The Art of Religion

This past Tuesday marked a return to Practitioner training, and it was great to see everyone again. As ever the discussion was lively and interesting. We've started to look at world religions and I am revelling in what there is to learn.

I had begun a poem in class and last night, after a very productive day, had set the intent to sit down. But after a while of searching I realized that the subject I had chosen and the resulting verses were not sitting right for me. I put down my pencil and undertook some self-enquiry. One realization was that I was trying to force a poem because I had not written one since Monday.  For someone used to writing a poem every day or so that seemed wrong.

"Ah ha", I thought. "That is hardly a basis of grace!" Fortunately, I did not need to answer myself. I simply put the poem down, unfinished, and released attachment.

And in release I opened the way for another poem to write itself through me. This poem was stirred as I read about the goals of various religions, and how extreme minorities have represented such goals to the world over many years.

The Art of Religion

The irony of necessity,
experienced bloody hand.
The art of religion,
ego taking stand.

A cocktail of humanity,
part ego, divine, perception.
Non-mystics teaching seekers.
Is control meted exception?

Perception adds complexity,
to relationship with Source.
Intimate experience,
art not to be forced.

Yet structure loses message,
guiding through complexity.
Bewildering world peace,
brotherhood perplexity.

Obfuscated messages,
of killing, and stealing.
Radicalized affront,
antithesis revealing.

But how to throw a rope,
without ego driving cast?
We share the destination,
and lessons of our past.

Others are not wrong,
the answer is within.
Through eyes of gift and love,
can we can see that we're akin.

Let seekers be inspired,
to discover for themselves,
that no other has all answers,
for the Being self has veiled.

Find your own brush or pen,
or chisel as you must.
For the art of religion,
is a masterpiece of trust.

(c) Copyright 2009, Carmien Owen

No comments:

Post a Comment