Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Past, Future, Present

During class tonight we were guided through a Jean Huston exercise for contemplating time. The focus was to consider time past, present and future from different perspectives, and to try and look at each aspects of time in different ways. In one part we were asked to let time past dominate our thinking and to look about us.


The following poem came to mind for me. It describes what came to mind for me as I let past, future and present dominate my thinking.

Past, Future, Present
Time past consumed by shadows,
from play and innocent games,
to future beckoning me,
inner anger rarely tamed.

Splinters of hinted Divinity,
suspecting love cast within.
Yet enamoured of reflections,
acquiring trinkets and things.

The future is fading present.
Vision brightly dissolved.
Enlightened grace a beacon,
outstretched hand never old.

No particular idea,
agenda, schedule or plan.
The present is the future,
blurred thought, word and hand.

Faith consumed by knowing,
surrendered to tranquil grace.
Heart giving, bestowing,
joy lived in every space.

Stillness I am now.
Breath in between the breeze.
Rustling of unfurling petals,
captivated and seized.

Beholden to inner yearning,
enlightened by humility.
Centred by my mindful learning,
delighted to simply be.

Copyright (c) 2009, Carmien Owen

No comments:

Post a Comment