Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Lightbulb

This morning as I was preparing for what may well be the most important business meeting to date for my business tomorrow, with the biggest client I may ever have (a global car manufacturing company with 100,000s of employees), an affirmation arrived in my email inbox:

Today I initiate actions that expand my impact. I am a change agent in my world. I make a difference.

I didn't consciously ask for a sign. But, as I think about it, I have been dealing with a number of thoughts that have jumped into my head. You might recognize them; the 'whatifs'. The analyst in me loves the whatifs. The analyst in me is very good at raising the whatifs.

What lit the moment for me was the awareness of both the statement and the timing. I count myself blessed to have the awareness, and humbled in the synchronicity that someone would pen such a perfect affirmation, dated on the perfect date.

And in that moment of grace I stepped away from the computer and picked up an idea I had a few weeks ago for a poem. This poem is about knowing that there will always be the energy you need, and that facing the shadows of ego's struggle in grace is what we need to do if we are to grow.

Lightbulb

Source provides electricity,
for life's lightbulb that shines,
but darkened stages have taught me,
brightest candescence follows decline.

It's not that the bulb isn't able,
to pierce any shadow or gloom,
but that we misuse our radiance,
in bringing order to the room.

Life's spectacular burn-outs,
force us into the dark.
To face shadow's deep enrichment,
experience augmenting the spark.

There'll always be bulbs aplenty,
infinitely lit through intent.
Don't be distracted by theatre,
or illusion that light could be spent.

Today is the time to flip
the switch and expand your glow,
to perceive the stage, and the players,
the stories, the plot and the show.

Copyright (c) 2009, Carmien Owen

No comments:

Post a Comment